Music and Festivals
The Trapper Creek Fireweed Festival is family-oriented and free! It takes place the last weekend in July at Mile 115.2 Parks Highway (off TC Park Road). Vendors, live music and a children's tent make this festival a can't be missed.
The 1935 Colonists who started the Matanuska farming community back in 1935 will be honored during Palmer Colony Days, the second Saturday and Sunday of June. Enter the 5-person bed race and don't miss the annual parade! Houston Founders Day is the third Saturday of August.
ALASKA STATE FAIR
As the summer days dwindle Alaskans get into full Fair mode, eager to marvel at monster veggies, eat to their heart's content and enjoy nonstop entertainment; this year organizers promise an entertainment line-up that is sure to be one of the most diverse in Fair history. Check out a summer-long list of happenings at Alaskastatefair.org
THE VALLEY MUSIC SCENE
The Valley Music Scene is hot this summer with weekly performances by local musicians at several locations and rockin' outdoor festivals. Whatever your taste in music, you'll find plenty of chances to dance the night away. Get the current lowdown from the Calendar of Events or contact the Mat-Su's popular hot spots to find out who will be rockin' and rolling in their venue.
- Vagabond Blues in Palmer, (907) 745-2233
- Sophia's Kafe Neo on Palmer-Wasilla Highway, (907) 745-9001
- Alaska State Fair (summer), www.alaskastatefair.com
- Four Corners Lounge in Palmer, (907) 746-5066
- Palmer Arts Council, www.palmerartscouncil.org
- Valley Performing Arts, www.valleyperformingarts.org
- Alaska Children's Choir, www.alaskachildrenschoir.net
- Denali Arts Council, www.denaliartscouncil.org