Come Experience Alaska with us! View Mat-Su Valley's Visitor Guide.
Request Visitor Guide
Alaska Family Vacations
The Mat-Su Valley, Alaska is a HUGE playground, which kids think is a pretty cool place to explore. Where else can they meet a dog sled team, climb on a glacier, see bear and moose, fish for king salmon, pan for gold and see America's tallest mountain?
Hype up Alaska trip plans for your little travelers before you go. Help them learn about life in Alaska within the kids section on the State of Alaska Web site.
These Alaska activities are not available at Disneyland®
- Walk across a glacier and stay for a picnic
- Catch king salmon that weigh more than you
- Meet Musk Ox - the Arctic's oldest living species
- Mush a dog team and cuddle with sled dog puppies
- Splash in mountain streams while panning for gold
- Take a flightseeing tour and land on Mount McKinley
- Watch for Alaska wildlife - its everywhere!
- Pick GIANT veggies from Matanuska farms
- See the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race in March
Alaska Learning Vacations
So many books have been written on Alaska, it usually warrants its own section. Whether your interests include Alaska flora and fauna, birding or wildlife, geological or natural history, Alaska pioneers or the Alaska gold rush era, local Alaskans provide thorough knowledge and fascinating stories in a variety of means.
Most recreational activities like fishing, rafting, kayaking and dog mushing are owned and operated by local residents. These are our experts. At museums and local roadhouses, living pioneers tell of first-hand experiences of life in the Last Frontier. Annual events and special festivals celebrate the heritage of each small community. There will be no test at the end of this vacation, just great memories.
Inexpensive Family-Friendly Ideas
Looking for some inexpensive ways to entertain the kids? Why not try...
- Museums (Palmer, Wasilla, Talkeetna, Knik, Sutton),
- Libraries Palmer, Wasilla, Talkeetna, Big Lake, Trapper Creek, Sutton, Willow)
- Fossil hunting
- Panning for gold at Hatcher Pass
- Hiking the West Butte Trail
- Bird viewing
- Community events at the Palmer Hay Flats
- Friday Flings outdoor market
- Kayak Byers Lake
- Rent Canoes at Nancy Lake
- Boat rentals Kepler Park
Yahoo Mat-Su! Where Alaska comes to play
The Mat-Su Valley is your place for adventure. From flightseeing Mount McKinley to rafting the Matanuska River, excitement is right around every corner. Spectacular views abound, from mountains to glaciers to wildlife. Conveniently located 35 miles north of Anchorage, your Alaska experience begins when you get to the Mat-Su Valley. Spend a day exploring Hatcher Pass, test your luck fishing or take advantage of the bountiful hiking. The Mat-Su Valley - where Alaska comes to play!
You'll find a wide variety of lodging options to fit your preferences and budget. Choose from comfo...
View our online vacancy report.
Looking for an event to attend? Our calendar of events will give you many options to choose from.
Alaska adventure is everywhere in the Mat-Su Valley! Summer and winter you will find a wide variety...
Three mountain ranges... 2,000 miles of trails... thousands of lakes... hundreds of miles of rivers...
Choose from fine dining to down home cafes and everything in between. Many of these restaurants use...
Mark the occasion of your Alaska visit with a special keepsake that tells the story of your adventu...
Alaska winters are spectacular in the Mat-Su Valley. Alpenglow sunsets over Denali, winter ice fish...
Check out our brand new Visitors Guide!