About Mat-Su CVB
What is the Mat-Su Convention & Visitors Bureau?
- Non-profit organization formed in 1986 to promote the Mat-Su visitor industry. Currently has a 10-member board of directors representing nearly 300 members, mostly small tourism business owners in the Mat-Su Borough. Staff: 4 year-round full-time employees.
Mat-Su Convention & Visitors Bureau's Mission:
- Our purpose is to strengthen and cultivate a vibrant tourism industry.
- The premier visitor destination delivering an authentic Alaska experience.
Funding Overview and History:
- In 1988, voters approved a 5 percent "bed" tax which became the basis for the Mat-Su CVB funding.
- Mat-Su Borough and the Mat-Su CVB agreed upon a "funding formula" in 1994 to allocate the Mat-Su CVB's share of bed tax revenue.
- The present formula calls for the Mat-Su CVB to receive 65 percent of bed tax revenues in the Mat-Su Borough.