About Mat-Su CVB
What is the Mat-Su Convention & Visitors Bureau?
- Non-profit organization formed in 1986 to promote the Mat-Su visitor industry. Currently has a 10-member board of directors representing more than 200 members, mostly small tourism business owners in the Mat-Su Borough. Staff: 4 year-round full-time employees.
Mat-Su Convention & Visitors Bureau's Mission:
- Create a vibrant visitor industry through authentic experiences that positively impact the communities where we live.
Mat-Su Convention & Visitors Bureau's Vision:
- The Mat-Su Valley is the choice Alaskan destination to visit, experience and live.
Funding Overview and History:
- In 1988, voters approved a 5 percent "bed" tax which became the basis for the Mat-Su CVB funding.
- Mat-Su Borough and the Mat-Su CVB agreed upon a "funding formula" in 1994 to allocate the Mat-Su CVB's share of bed tax revenue.
- The present formula calls for the Mat-Su CVB to receive an appropriation from the Mat-Su Borough for approximately 65 percent of the bed tax revenue.
- In FY21 and FY22, the Mat-Su CVB was funded with CARES funding through the Mat-Su Borough.